Updated on: March 15, 2021.
I got inspired by Wendy’s, a fellow RPCV, Bucket List so I decided to create my own. I will try to keep them realistic since in the past, I used to have goals that were a bit unreachable. Everybody wants to travel to space. (^_^)
Of course the first one listed, owning a motorcycle, was met. I had wanted to own one since I was 15 years old.
Owning a motorcycle. – Accomplished in October, 2017. Location: HCMC, Vietnam. This was a dream come true for me.
- Own a Triumph motorcycle. – I love the new Triumph Street Triple 1200 RS.
- Getting my Private Pilot’s License. – I started my flight training in 1995 but never finished due to my leaving for the US Peace Corps in 1997. I hope I can start again either in Japan or Malaysia.
- Pilot a small jet like the Cirrus Vision SF50.
- Read Arabic. – Maybe I will add Speak Conversational Arabic in the future.
- Speak and Read Japanese fluently. – I spoke Japanese as a kid but never really focused back to it when I got older.
- Speak and Read a Turkic language fluently. – I learned Kazakh in the Peace Corps but I really want to see if I can learn Uzbek or Uyghur fluently. If not I will try to become fluent in Kazakh.
- Speak Conversational Russian. – I have studied Russian in the Peace Corps and at my university but I am still not confident in speaking this language.
- Write a Japanese Light Novel. In the past I would have said I wanted to write a book but I realize that what interests me was Japanese anime stories more. Then I got interested in Light Novels.
- Learn to draw Manga for my Light Novel.
- Live in Japan.
- Research the entire Matsunaga Clan.
- Find the Kamon for my mother’s Matsunaga family.
- Live in Malaysia.
- Visit my Kazakh host family in Kazakhstan yearly. – I last visited them in May, 2015.
- Own a small blockchain startup that focuses on my nonprofit background.
- Setup an EdTech site.
- Own an organic garden. – I want to eat my own grown fruits and vegetables in the future.
- Become fully vegetarian. – I will never be vegan unless I can find a better source of calcium.
- Have a family. – This has been an elusive goal for me thus far.
I am always physically active. Olympic Weightlifting is my favorite sport which I have been doing since 1993. I have been doing some form of weight training since I was 15 years old.
- Weightlifting: Snatch 100 kg.
- Weightlifting: Clean and Jerk 140 kg.
- Weightlifting: Clean 150 kg.
- Weightlifting: Front Squat 200 kg.
- Do Weightlifting as long as possible. – I love the sport that much.
- Return to Kendo. – My last practice was in 2011. I miss it but I figured I would return once I moved to Japan.
- Practice Arnis.
- Do more nature hikes with friends.
- Swim at least once a week. – After the Marines, I just do not get to the pool often.
- To be able to walk on the sidewalk again. – If you live in Vietnam, you will understand.
- Learn to meditate.
- Visit Capetown, South Africa.
- Visit Ethiopia.
- Visit Kenya.
- Visit Israel (Tel Aviv and Jerusalem).
- Visit Jeet (Baba’s Kitchen manager) in Nepal.
- Visit my friend in Egypt.
- Visit Morocco.
- Visit the remaining Stans. – Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.
- Visit historical sites in Kazakhstan (Turkestan) and Uzbekstan (Bukhara and Samarkand).
- Visit the Muslim states in the Russian Federation (Tatarstan, Chechnya, Dagestan, and other Caucasus states).
- Visit Iran (Isfahan and Tehran).
- Visit Taj Mahal again.
- Perform Umrah with friends.
- Perform Hajj.
- Visit Australia and New Zealand.
- Visit Turkey again. – I have not returned since August, 2002.
- Visit Brunei.
- Visit North Korea.
- Visit Saudia Arabia (outside of Umrah or Hajj).
- Visit Qatar.
- Visit the UAE.